Sunday, September 9, 2018

September 6-8


Thursday, September 6

When I woke up this morning, we didn’t have anything pressing on the schedule.  That didn’t last long before the Sisters called and asked if we would like to join them for dinner with a member in Quarteira, Andrea and her two children.  The second part of the invite was. . . could you make something for dessert?  We have been trying to get out with the branch members more, so the answer to both was yes.

I decided to make some lemon cookies and got them started before I realized I didn’t have any vanilla flavoring.  Here it is called baunilha. I went to three local markets (on foot) with no success in finding any.  The last store had little packets of vanilla sugar, so I gave that a try.    

I also picked up a couple of fresh lemons from our little fruit market.  The store owner has always been very helpful and pleasant and likes to help us with our Portuguese.  I told him I was making lemon cookies and he indicated I should add some lemon zest. 
 (Random  foto:  All eggs are stamped with a date and best used by date.  I have wondered if they are stamped gently by hand or if a machine stamps them without breaking them.)

Right below our apartment is a barbershop and a little café/food shop next to it.  They often have a sign posted saying “Sopa de dia - €1.  Before going back home, I stopped to get some soup (paid 30 centavos extra for the container).  It was the traditional blended vegetable soup and went perfectly with a multi-seed roll I had purchased earlier on my shopping venture.  I have dreamed of living in Italy next to a piazza with fresh foods being sold by the locals.  This comes close to it – at least everything is available within the block.


I made a double batch of cookies to also share with the six sets of missionaries here in our district.  I ended up needing to put half the dough in the fridge because we had a meeting with our friend (M).  He’s still hanging in there – fighting his tobacco cravings successfully so far, but it isn’t easy.  I gave him a bag of cookies. 

After some wandering around this evening (on the streets and even in the right building), we finally found Andreia’s apartment.  Instead of apt. #5, it was floor 5, apt #24.  Addresses are confusing – this time even for the Sister missionaries.  (Our address is Avenida 25 de Abril, C3-1oC which means building 3, first floor, apartment C).  Different housing complexes use different methods of identification.


Andreia was trying to work in the kitchen, holding her baby on her hip as she was cooking.  I offered to hold Daniel (5 months) while Andreia continued to fix dinner and visit.  She has a nice apartment, small one bedroom with a tiny kitchen – but she makes it work.  

The living area had a table in the corner, a tv and small couch, and a bed for her daughter.  She fixed chicken and mushrooms in a cream sauce over rice – and “The Elder’s Cake” – pineapple upside down bundt cake.  It got the name because her mother made this cake for the Elders when they ate at her house after she became a member. . . Family tradition.  Her mother was Catholic, and her father was Moslem.  Kind of a rough upbringing for the kids.   


Sister Haws gave a lesson on three things that families should do to strengthen (hold up) their testimonies of the church:  prayer, attend meetings, read the scriptures.  She did a demonstration using cups and three knives configured to hold up the Book of Mormon (I had Merl reconstruct it so we can visualize it).


It was an inspirational evening as we learned of the struggles and faith of this young mother providing a home, foundation, and life for her children.  It was late when we got home – sometimes a struggle getting the missionaries home by 10:00 p.m.

**********

Friday, September 7

I finished baking all the cookies – packaged most of them to give to the six missionary sets we have in our District while Merl worked on PC card and Gas card records.  I took some Lemon cookies to our friendly fruit market owner – when I bought the lemon from him I told him I was making cookies and would bring him one – in Portuguese!  I think he was actually surprised when I brought them to him this morning.   

I bought a package of egg noodles and made some chicken noodle soup (boiled bones/skins from rotisserie chicken and added some fresh chicken) for Sister Haws who has not been feeling well.  Also sent over some fresh pears and cookies.  She indicated she felt better – at least for a while.  I finally sent Sister Fillmore a message about her condition.

We picked up Elders Rogers and Rodrigues in Faro and drove them to Portimão (about an hour drive each way) for a half hour interview with a baptismal candidate.  We went shopping at the Jumbo grocery store that is close to the church (has some “American” kinds of food) while the interview was taking place.   I was excited to find salsa, tortillas, barbecue sauce, coconut milk, etc.  I had been thinking about making fajitas for dinner on Sunday . . . with rice and beans of course.   We also had time to stop at a Worten store to purchase a mixer for the Olhão/Tavira Elders.  Little by little, we will get their apartment furnished with the allocated items.


The Portimão chapel is a nice, stand-alone church.  We understand that it is one of the first chapels (if not the first) constructed in Portugal.  We headed home and dropped off the Elders at the church in Faro, delivered the mixer and cookies to Elder White.  

I had the job of cleaning up the kitchen after cooking this morning.  Merl fixed his own dinner (left over soup and pizza).



Saturday, September 8

We slept in a little bit this morning – we are using today as our P-Day since we were working and traveling earlier this week.  We are having the missionaries over for dinner after church on Sunday, so I needed to do some grocery shopping.  We are going to have chicken fajitas with rice and beans, salad, and stuffed Mexican sweet potatoes.  I also stopped by our fruit market and picked up some pears for a sour cream apple/pear pie – it sounded good to me when I saw the recipe.  No shortening here, so the crust will be made with butter.

Merl sliced all the chicken, and I prepped the vegetables for dinner.  I used the pressure cooker to make the beans, and I will use it tomorrow to make the rice while the chicken and peppers are cooking.  I think it was a good investment!

Merl just returned from a meeting with the missionaries and the Branch mission leader (Jairo).  I was home with a pie in the oven – we didn’t know about the meeting in time.   Pres. Rui was there helping to clean the building.  He came into the missionary meeting, and Merl asked him a question. . . in English.  Pres. Rui’s response:  “I will talk to you in English, but this is the last time.  I would like to learn English better, but I am not going to speak to YOU in English again” (said with a smile).  Not only that, he asked the Sisters to present a FHE for his family on Monday, the Elders on the next Monday, and then us on the third Monday.  Merl came home wishing he hadn’t gone to the church tonight.  I guess it is time to step up!  We will also have 8 for dinner tomorrow – Jairo and our friend, Miguel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 2019

November 3 November started out on a high note. . . we weren’t able to attend, but our great granddaughter, Isabel, was blessed today ...