Saturday, September 29, 2018

Sept 18-19 District Meeting, Electrical Woes, and Trip Preparations


Tuesday, Sept. 18

District meeting in Faro this morning

Merl called the Landlady this morning to let her know about the water heater problem.  She said she would call an electrician to come look at it this afternoon.  We prepared to go to the meeting and took a load of the abandoned clothes to the church so we could then fit the sisters in the car to go to the meeting.  We also took some individual cups ofl limão mousse for a treat after the meeting.

The meeting today focused on discussing the reading materials assigned by Pres. Fillmore for the upcoming combined zone conference on Thursday.  Fortunately, we had printed them out in English so we could follow part of the discussion (The Doctrine of Christ by Brian K. Ashton and Repentance is not a Backup Plan: It is the Plan by Elder Neil L. Anderson). We also practiced the new mission song to the tune of Called to Serve.  Merl gave the closing prayer, and we enjoyed the limão mousse as we visited about the trip to Oeiras on Thursday.

On our way back to Loulé, we stopped at Jumbo so the Sisters could pick up some cold medications; and I went looking for peanut butter chips (right. . . not here) and chocolate chips – which I did find a small, very expensive package.  I was asked to make cookies for the Leadership meeting on Friday after the zone conference on Thursday.  I am going to try Amber’s favorite peanut butter cookie recipe – with a few substitutions.  (Foto:  my favorite bread right now - nuts and seeds on top and throughout with raisins and currents inside.  Yummy)

When we arrived home, we tidied up the apartment in preparation for the Landlady and an electrician to arrive.  (We had previously only worked with our Landlord, but his ex-wife speaks English and is still involved with the property.)  When they arrived, it was a pleasure to get to know her.  She served a mission in England 30 years ago and still speaks English very well.  A most pleasant person!

Merl:  The elderly gentleman electrician appeared more like a handyman than a licensed electrician.  I told them what the problems appeared to be – a loose connection in the panel, and the breaker that overheated.  He had a hard time getting the panel cover off too, but finally did. (I couldn’t see how it was fastened.)  Sure enough, a loose wire; but not only that, a wire that should have been in another breaker was shoved under the water heater breaker terminal.  The water heater breaker had melted and bubbled the plastic covering.  It had a terrible smell.  He installed a larger breaker to handle both circuits and the two wires.  He had a difficult time getting the larger breaker to fit in the place, but succeeded at that, too.  He tightened all the other wires and closed up the very small panel box.  I’m sure glad I was not an electrician in this country.  There is absolutely no room in the panels for extra wire.  Power is back on and everything works.  I’ll keep a close eye on electrical use and panel temperature.



We did some studying, blogging, and visiting with Brian who is now in Italy – only one hour time difference.  We pray for their success in finding suitable, affordable housing for their family.  Sounds like they are having a good experience so far.  We look forward to seeing them here in Portugal
and/or in Italy at the end of our mission.

(Fotos:  Curtis introduced us to Messenger voice/video capabilities.  Now we can see and hear who we are talking to - even if it is a bit scary!





************

Wednesday, Sept 19

Tomorrow we will be leaving for the Lisbon area for missionary meetings.  Each of the Senior Couple missionaries were asked to bring a batch of cookies for the Leadership meeting on the second day.  I decided to try a new recipe that is Amber’s family favorite right now – Disneyland Peanut Butter Cookies.  I have peanut butter but substituted chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and peanuts.  Turned out pretty good.

We made preparations for the trip by doing all the laundry, printing documents for the meetings, and researching maps and directions of how to get to the two different cities and chapels for the meetings.

We assisted with the English class this evening – the topic being “Shopping for Clothes.”  We took some of our new cookies to share.  

Later, I packed some cut up fruits and veggies for the road trip.  Fortunately I had found an insulated bag with ice packs in a closet – perfect for keeping a few things cold for the trip.   Also packed a few of Merl’s snacks to tide him over until lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

November 2019

November 3 November started out on a high note. . . we weren’t able to attend, but our great granddaughter, Isabel, was blessed today ...