Saturday, August 25
I have been wanting to make a traditional Portuguese vegetable
soup (even if it is still way to hot to eat soup). I checked out several recipes and found I had
all the ingredients, except a leek.
Sounded like a good reason to me to head to the Saturday Market this
morning. I came home with my leek as
well as a big slice of winter squash, strawberries, cilantro, tomatoes, and a
jar of local honey. I walked through all
the fish aisles again today, but still couldn’t talk myself into buying
something. I think it might be all the
eyes looking up at me. . . and for some people here, that’s one of the best
bites on the plate. Just can’t do it.
After shopping and eating a late breakfast, we walked over to
the local Campo de Futebol (soccer field) to watch a jogo de futebol (soccer game) between Loulé and Faro. Faro is in black in the pictures – and seemed to be the better team today. It was 95o at 11:00 this morning and these kids were running their hearts out the whole game. The footwork and strategic moves were amazing. We were sitting in seats under a large canopy – I told Merl that I had to imagine we were in a luxurious spa in a sauna to make the heat bearable. The round-trip walk is about a mile. We were cooking by the time we got home.
(Foto: painting on the side of an apartment building close to the soccer field.)
The afternoon plan was to support a district primary activity in Faro. Candida, one of our Branch members, is the District Primary President. Instead, we spent the afternoon in Olhão cleaning and working on the Elder’s apartment there. It had been empty for a while, but it is anticipated that new Elders will be coming on Monday – the next transfer day. Sister Bower (senior missionary) has been assigned to coordinate the housing inspections; she sent an email requesting that all the apartments be “missionary ready” by Monday evening. The Olhão apartment needed some major cleaning and lighting/electrical issues taken care of. So that is what we did this afternoon.
families from Equador) import dolls, bracelets,
etc. and customize them for the tourists.
(Foto: Merl, Kathlyn with Dolores, Kevin, Melanie, Norberto - taken after church on Sunday)
We had rice, potatoes, roast pork, and a cucumber/tomato/onion/avocado
salad (which was delicious. And the best
part was a big pitcher of fresh squeezed orange juice. After a hot day, that hit the spot. A little appetizer was a bowl full of
home-made corn nuts – large corn kernels, salted and baked in the oven. We visited after the meal, Elder Heiner gave
a message, and then we left to figure out how to get out of the parking
lot. After a failed first attempt, the
sisters got some instructions from an attendant, and we were on our way home.

(Foto: Bad shot of the same art piece after dark, going fast around the circle)

(Foto: Bad shot of the same art piece after dark, going fast around the circle)
Sunday, August 26
Happy birthday, Cooper! We miss you and hope you had a wonderful birthday!!
The Sunday mornings seem to come more frequently than the other days of the week. We were ready to head out the door by 9:10. I helped arrange for Sister Mazi to play the piano for most of the Sacrament meetings while they are here on holiday. Update on the Mazis: After a facebook post, I received a comment from Cheryl Okleberry (preiously Cheri Calico from Twin Falls) saying they knew the Mazis and what a wonderful family they were. They had crossed paths in Belgium where the Mazis were living and the Okleberrys were serving a mission a few years ago. I told Bro. Mazi about this, and he was amazed that we knew someone he knew. . . His wife also showed me some pictures of them in front of the Idaho Falls Temple when they visited the U.S. in 1997 – red tulips were blooming in front of the temple – the flower of Holland. Small world! They also invited us missionaries (Couple, Elders, Sisters) to dinner at their vacation home in Quarteira – next to the beach. Merl was asked to present the Family Home Evening message. Should be a lot of fun!
One announcement made from the pulpit was interesting to
us. There will be a series of classes
taught on Saturday evenings taught by the Elders’ Quorum President, Nestor
Querales. The topic – The Apocalypse. The Sisters later said that he is the only
one in the area authorized to teach this.
Should be interesting. . . wish I could understand Portuguese better.
Hymn of the Day: Secreta Oração
There are hours of precious
peace in which my heart
of the world is spent in secret
prayer.
The path that had led us to the
heavenly throne
only discovered by secret prayer.
When navigating this sea of
despair
my soul comforts itself in
secret prayer.
And when you say you walk
through temptation, The Maldonada Family
To my master I will raise a
secret prayer.
(Chorus) I will surrender my
heart in secret prayer.
I will gain by these gifts with
the communion angels.
I attended the Gospel Principles
class today with Merl. Several of the
recent converts were In the class. The
lesson was God’s Plan for Eternal Families.
I felt like the teacher was the perfect teacher for the class – she spoke
distinctly (with some animation) and kept the interest of everyone.
Jared and Jairo Ferreira came in
late (the sisters had called them and woke them up – but they came). (Jaiiro - center - is the Branch Mission Leader, Jared is his older brother and is being taught by the missionaries; and Elder Heiner from Burley).
Jairo thinks it is funny when he says "I am the brother of Jared."
In Relief Society, “Where Love Is”
from the children’s hymnbook was practiced.
I gathered that the RS Sisters will be singing it sometime soon in
Sacrament meeting.
After lunch the Sisters had set
up an appointment with a member (less/non active) who they thought we could
start working with. We had a good (but
tearful) hour with him as he shared his life and problems/concerns with
us. He speaks no English and our Portuguese
is so-so; but the spirit was there, and there was enough communication to earn
trust and another meeting scheduled on Tuesday.
We pray that we might be of some help to him in his desire to get back
on the path.
Loulé Elders and Faro Elders remain
intact. Sister Enders (from Twin Falls)
is being transferred. Four new Elders
are coming to Olhão so we will need to make another trip over there to finish a
few projects in one of the apartments.
But we will start the P-Day
tomorrow by treating the Sisters to a trip to Sand City.




No comments:
Post a Comment