Saturday, August 11, 2018

First Sunday in Portugal


Aug. 5




Church starts at 9:30 a.m. here and isn’t too far away from our apartment.  In spite of that, we were almost late because we got lost in the maze of side streets.  Women greet each other in the traditional Portuguese way – touching cheek to cheek (both sides) with a little kiss sound in your ear.  We arrived with enough time for me to play two minutes of prelude.  A beautiful young sister from Angola (and a returned missionary) led the music.  She did a great job.

Letícia was confirmed today by Irmão Giovani.  Our landlord and counselor in the Branch Presidency, Eulálio Francisco, assisted in the confirmation along with Pres. Rui and Elder Alder.  I am sure it was a beautiful blessing.

As I looked out over those sitting in the chapel, I could identify several from Ecuador, Brazil, Angola, Portugal (of course), and others I am not sure of.  Merl estimates there were between 70 and 80 in attendance.  The Branch President, Rui Gorjão, is a stately young man, with a confident presence. He has been a member of the church for three years.  He is a pharmaceutical salesman (jokes with the missionaries that he is a drug dealer).  He conducted the meeting today.  After the sacrament, he asked Merl and me to introduce ourselves.  Because it was Fast Sunday, I had been thinking about bearing my testimony and had prepared some thoughts.  I am so glad I did because of how tongue tied and forgetful I get.  We stood together at the pulpit as we expressed our thoughts and our desire to serve with them.  The missionaries later told us we said exactly what we should have – and they could understand our Portuguese, even with the American accent (sotague).  As it always was in Brazil, no minute was wasted in the bearing of testimonies.

There was a lengthy break between meetings as several families with children spent time in the kitchen eating before going to class.  Primary and youth groups meet in the lower level for their second and third hour classes.  There are no pianos/keyboards to use – next week I hope to attend Primary and see how best we can help.

The majority of the members attended the Gospel Principles Gospel Doctrine class was taught in the chapel attended by most of the people from Ecuador.  They are beautiful natives who wear their traditional dress, all with long black hair.  Quite striking!  As we get to know them better, I hope to get some pictures.  Most of them live in the neighboring city of Albufeira, a beach resort town about 25 miles away.  The Algarve (the district we live in) has a big land mass with 6 branches – some members have to travel long distances to attend meetings.  Pres. Fillmore, in his plan for the mission, is to strengthen members and increase membership close to the existing chapels and then to spread to the outlying areas. 

I was asked to play in Relief Society, and our lesson was on personal ways of ministering.  Even on the other side of the world, our focus is now ministering to each other.  Some examples given (and I could understand them) were listening, sharing, teaching, love, service, mourning with each other (an investigator attending had just lost her husband and spoke of the assistance she had from members), etc. 

(foto:  a group of primary boys playing on their phones after church.)



We arrived home and immediately fell asleep.  I think the heat and lack of sleep had finally caught up with us.  We later fixed a late lunch experimenting with our stove.  The fish fillets, baked in the oven, were a bit crisp; but the stir-fried vegetables (zucchini, carrots, cauliflower) were perfect.  We added a salad and sliced melon for our first nice meal.


We like to take walks in the evening after the sun goes down, and tonight we took another direction and found an outdoor event center where people were gathering.  We stopped to see what the attraction was and learned that a concert of “Accordions by the Hands of Youth” was soon to begin (nothing is soon here).  It began as a “recital” of individual or duet songs played by several students and ended with all of them playing together with singers.  We thoroughly enjoyed the music and cultural expressions.  This was a part of their history and culture that was a blessing to participate in tonight.  It was late when we arrived home, and we slept better than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

November 2019

November 3 November started out on a high note. . . we weren’t able to attend, but our great granddaughter, Isabel, was blessed today ...