Tuesday,
January 1, 2019
This
morning we actually slept in and lazied around most of the morning. We sent the Elders off to do their work - and then we went to work.
I bet we are the only people who can say that they celebrated the New Year by destroying mold all day. . . and we did a good job at it.
I am still fighting a nasty cold – coughed so hard during the night that I think I did some damage to my diaphragm. Sharp pain when I move or cough now. . . Guess I will just have to sleep.
I bet we are the only people who can say that they celebrated the New Year by destroying mold all day. . . and we did a good job at it.
I am still fighting a nasty cold – coughed so hard during the night that I think I did some damage to my diaphragm. Sharp pain when I move or cough now. . . Guess I will just have to sleep.
*
* * * * * *
Wednesday,
January 2, 2019
I
must be a martyr – nothing is going to keep me away from finishing
our mold-busting job! We spent most of the day finishing the walls
and ceilings and scrubbing black marks off all the walls (shoes, suit
cases, whatever else hits walls). I organized all the mission
materials and supplies while Merl finished the last room. Now, with
a clean and organized apartment, the current Elders and future Elders
in Loule will be accountable for the condition – can’t blame it
on someone before them.

It
is a mystery as to where the new apartment contract is for the Faro
Elders. We had hoped to move the new Zone Leaders straight into the
new apartment tomorrow, but the contract is in limbo. The Office Elders think
it was lost in the mail during the holidays – but aren’t sure if
they sent it to the property manager or us. We keep checking our
mail. When at home, I sleep or try to study some. . . Merl took a
long walk around the park studying verbs.
*
* * * * *
Thursday,
January 3, 2019
Sometimes
I need to insert in the blog that we do read scriptures, study
Portuguese, assist and support the missionaries, interact and serve
with branch members as well as fix meals, do dishes and laundry, keep
up on finances – same things as at home. It is nice that we can do
all of this and more in such a beautiful place serving with wonderful
people. We have our struggles, especially understanding a lot of the
spoken language. . . but we continue to work at it.
Because
we still cannot get keys to the new Faro apartment (contract not
signed), we needed to assist the new Elders (Zone Leaders Mortensen
and Bailey) in moving into the old apartment. All missionaries are
instructed to leave their apartment clean when they are transferred.
. . this was not what we found as we entered today. Things were a
mess – in every room and in every way. I felt so bad for these new
missionaries walking into such disarray. They were good sports and
pitched in to make it possible to sleep there tonight. We told them
not to unpack. . . we will get them moved soon.
We
couldn’t stay long as we needed to return to the train station to
pick up the new Elders and take them to Portimao (Ribeiro and
Barrios). They had not eaten since morning, so after we delivered
their bags to their apartment, we took them to McDonalds (their
choice). These boys can eat! Then – another late drive back home.
I am living on cough drops!
*
* * * * * *
Friday,
January 4
We
woke up early – I didn’t have a good night. I decided the best
time to read morning scriptures is sitting up in bed where it is
warm. Once we are up, things start cropping up to monopolize the
time. This morning, I needed to make cinnamon rolls to celebrate
Sister Warner’s birthday. She is the new Sister Trainer assigned
to work with Sister Larson in Faro. We picked up our Sisters and drove to Faro for the District meeting. New District: Elder Mortensen, Elder Bailey, Elder Payne, Elder Howard, Sister Ngalu, Sister Prado, Sister Larson, and Sister Warner. The other new missionary in our Algarve Zone is Elder Webber assigned to work with Elder Pugh in Olhao. We have not met him yet.
We
received word that the property manager (Paula) in Faro received the
contract and wanted us to come sign everything this morning. We were
excited to do so. We picked up the new missionaries and took them to
our appointment at the new apartment. They loved it! Merl had
received a document giving him authority to sign for the church.
Merl signed what he needed and took the electric, gas,
and water meter readings. We followed Paula to the Municipal Mall to change the water service over to the Mission.
and water meter readings. We followed Paula to the Municipal Mall to change the water service over to the Mission.
We
spent the entire rest of the day (until 8:30 p.m.) helping the
missionaries sort and pack up the old apartment and transport
everything that belonged to the mission to the new apartment. We did
some cleaning, but it needs a lot more. On the last trip of the
night, Merl noticed that he was totally out of gas with 00 miles in
reserve. It was a panic to go the right direction to hopefully find
a gas station in an area we were not familiar with. Another of many
tender mercies is that we coasted into a station and were able to fill
up and deliver the last load. We will definitely need to go back and clean out the rest of the apartment tomorrow.
We
were very glad to get home tonight and fixed a big bowl of vegetable
soup before going to bed.
*
* * * * * *
Saturday,
January 5
Today
started out a little better – what could be better than going
shopping at IKEA for furniture and supplies. We purchased two desks,
set of bookshelves, two chests of drawers, pillows, garbagae cans,
etc. The furniture will need to be assembled; the bookshelt just
barely fit into the car sliding from the back and between the front
seats to the front window. Good thing Merl is a good packer.


We
called ahead and had the Elders meet us downstairs to help carry the
boxes up to the apartment. They pitched right in and started working
on the desks first and had one of the dressers put together before we
left. We came home tired. We have closed two apartments and are
helping with a third in Lagos. This is our first apartment to open – and it is nice, clean, in a desirable location, and now well furnished. Add this to our duties as missionaries along with inspections, fixing anything that’s broken, supporting the missionaries with love, comfort, health concerns, instructions, teaching, travel, moving in and out, transportation to and from train stations, bus stations, and hospitals.
Got to love it!
*
* * * * * *


I know the young missionaries are so thankful for what you do for them! You are such a blessing to all of them and I know you were called in this missionary calling for a reason! I'm so proud to have parents like you! Love you guys!
ReplyDelete